Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Coolest Car




7:32 we are searching for Emma's backpack. The bus comes at 7:34. After searching upstairs, downstairs, between stairs the missing pack is discovered hanging on the hook where it belongs. As Emma runs out the door we hear the distant hum of the bus driving away.

We jump into the car, load all the dogs and I start zipping down the street but notice my zip has been zapped. The car is not driving well. Emma says "Mom, maybe we have a flat tire." In my yellow floral nightgown I drag myself out of the car and walk around to discover that we indeed do have a flat tire. Slowly backing up down the street into our driveway, I tell Emma we will need to take Dad's car.

Oh no Mom! "If we take Dad's car I will look like a fool. I love it because it's Dad's but it is a little embarassing. " Humming along in the Bonneville I am grateful to have it at that moment and grateful for a husband who hangs onto things. My peace is disturbed by Emma's comment, "Mom, what year was this car cool?" I looked at her and told her with reverence "In your Dad's world honey, this car is cool every year."

4 comments:

  1. Not so COOL when the AIR CONDITIONING doesn't work! I love that JK is still driving that car!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha!!! I'm cracking up at the story - not just about JK's obsession with that car, but you in your yellow floral nightgown! That's one of my nightmares every morning when I take the kids to school - that for some reason I'm going to have to take off my sunglasses and step out of the car...

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least it wasn't the good old dis-Charger. Which I'm sure John wishes he still had. I'm sure Emma will be made to drive the Bonnevillie to be sure she stays humble when she is older. Love it. Are you still in School? yuck.

    ReplyDelete